While there are several ways to cope with anxiety, such as receiving professional help from a therapist or taking medication, sometimes you need something that will reduce your anxiety symptoms immediately and prevent you from spiraling. Below, you will find a list of 5 tips that can help reduce anxiety in the moment. Some might work better than others, and while you might not experience complete relief, these tips can certainly help make your symptoms more bearable.
- Breathe- During an anxiety attack, controlling your breathing is of paramount importance. Your anxiety can cause or worsen shortness of breath, so to avoid panicking further, practice some breathing exercises.
- Use the 3-3-3 Rule- Changing your focus can be helpful when you need to reduce anxiety in the moment. Look around you and name 3 things you see. Then, listen and name 3 sounds you hear. Lastly, move three parts of your body.
- Get Moving- Physical activity releases chemicals in your brain that can help you feel less stressed. Moving also helps relieve any muscle tension caused by your anxiety and can help distract you from intrusive thoughts.
- Take a Cold Shower- If you are at home when you start to feel anxious, the cold water from your shower can help reduce anxiety. This is because anxiety often increases your heart rate and blood pressure, but the cold water can lower them and help you feel calmer.
- Listen to Music- Having some of your favorite songs on hand can help reduce your anxiety because music helps to calm your nervous system.
For professional help with your anxiety, contact the office of Dr. James Campbell, LLC to set up an appointment.